Wednesday 18 April 2012

Electric Ladyland – Jimi Hendrix in Jesmond


By Ian Currie

I was a 12 year old at the time, as I was born in December 1954. My family had experienced hardship as my father, suddenly and unexpectedly, had left the family home to start a new life in London. I lived with my mother Margaret Currie, my sister Sonia Currie and her young son, Mark, then aged about 2, in the upper flat at 72, Fern Avenue in Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne. 


The black door is 72 Fern Avenue, Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne, photographed by Hazel Plater, April 2012


Determined to survive the shock blow of my father’s departure, my sister was employed at the ‘La Dolce Vita’ as a croupier, and managed to get my mother a job working in the chip exchange there. To assist with childcare, my mother sub-let a room in the flat to my sister’s friend Linda who looked after Mark and I when my mother and sister worked in the evenings. There were many evenings when Sonia and my mum brought back friends to party. These gatherings became well-known locally. Our living room, I remember, was decorated in typical 60s style, but with an amazing wall that had been papered entirely with cooking foil! The 'paper' was not pasted on and I remember when you opened the living room door, the draught would make the entire wall move and rustle – amazing how some things remain in your memory.

Regularly, there would be David Findlay (a doorman at La Dolce Vita); Keith Crombie (doorman at the Club A Go Go) and many other friends of theirs including other croupiers, acquaintances and a sprinkling of celebrities. Often the celebrity would be the current act that was booked at ‘La Dolce Vita’. I would often use the excuse of not being able to sleep to get up and see what was happening.

One such occasion, in February 1967 I believe, I was woken up to hear loud partying going on. I was very interested in music myself, and had been bought my first electric guitar, a Futurama 3 and a Vox Domino amplifier the previous year. Although I hadn’t realised it at the time, this guitar was not particularly easy to play. I investigated the commotion in the living room, full of people laughing and drinking. Sitting in an armchair was Jimi Hendrix who I immediately recognised from the TV! I was very impressed, but a bit overwhelmed, as was he, with the party-goers ‘thrusting’ my Futurama guitar at him requesting, “Play something Jimi, play something.” He was attempting to oblige but although the instrument may have somewhat resembled a Fender Strat, this guitar certainly was NOT that! I have to admit that I was slightly disgruntled to see my prize possession being used without my permission. Bloody cheek! 


Jimi Hendrix was photographed just before going on stage at The Imperial Hotel in Darlington on 2nd February 1967. 


Jimi Hendrix, Darlington, England 1967 | Ian Wright


Jimi seemed very quiet, with a calm aura about him. He was dressed in military attire, but I’m not sure if it was just the jacket or military trousers as well. I went to the bedroom to dig out the latest gadget I’d bought that weekend at the joke shop. It was a particularly nasty joke that consisted of a grey plastic playing card box, with a card glued on the cover with a raunchy looking lady on it, but inside was a coil and battery, which when the trick pack was opened, delivered a nasty shock. I hated it! I returned to the living room to give Jimi a look at it. And duly electrocuted him! He seemed to take the joke quite well, but I can’t believe now that I actually did it! I think the trick then went on to do the rounds at the party. On reflection, did this occurrence influence the title of his 1968 album, ‘Electric Ladyland’?

I heard an additional tale about this night, which is that in my sister’s room upstairs - the front attic, The Moody Blues and a few others had locked themselves in, and were smoking a particular substance. Apparently, and I believe this to be true, Jimi was knocking to be let in and The Moody Blues and several other people were laughing away at the fact they weren’t letting him in!


The Moody Blues had played at La Dolce Vita on 2nd February 1967.  That same night, Jimi Hendrix had played the Imperial Hotel in Darlington


I also heard that a few weeks later, Jimi had returned to Newcastle, and requested another party at our house, however, my sister’s son Mark was very poorly with tonsillitis, so an alternative venue in Jesmond was sorted for the party. 

Even though these parties would often go on until very early in the morning, there was always a pleasant atmosphere, probably because there were a lot of regulars who knew my family quite well. As I was a schoolboy at the time, I frequently managed to ‘duck’ school after getting up to a living room with guests still sitting around, or asleep with all the lights left on!



NEMH notes:


With thanks to Marshall Hall for his post on the North East Music History Facebook group which led to Ian Currie's blog post here.


Prints of Ian Wright's fantastic Jimi Hendrix image above can be ordered at https://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com/photo/default.aspx?photographID=2414

1 comment: